Monday, July 19, 2010

The Spray

As we came through the President Channel headed north, we could see the Islands. They were beautiful. More beautiful than I imagined. The waves were coming SE, so we were fighting the swells. It is totally different when they are hitting you right on your side. They rock and roll you pretty good. We were headed NE, past Pt. Doughty, I was at the helm, while the Captain was down below goofing off. I was always on whale watching mode. I had seen a couple of seals, a few porpoises. I was so excited when I spotted a 'spray'! It was at least 7 feet high. The water was pretty choppy, but it was definitely a whale spray. It wasn't an Orca because I didn't see a dorsal fin. So it had to be either the grey whale that had been spotted hanging around the San Juan Islands, or the Humpback whale, that also been hanging out up there. Nothing else could have made the 'spray', 'spout', that was that high. I hollered at the Captain to take the helm, and took the top step in the companion way, to get an unobstructed view. I never took my eyes off of the water, for probably a half an hour or more. Like I said, the water was pretty choppy, but even the waves couldn't make a spray 7 feet high. I just didn't see it again.   bunkmate

No comments:

Post a Comment