Monday, August 30, 2010

August 13th, 2010 Friday, Typical friday the 13th

I woke up this morning to the Captain banging around up top with the anchor. We were rolling pretty good, and I could tell the wind was  rippin' pretty hard. I was trying to see if I could fall back to asleep once we got underway, when the Captain hollard down below "Hey!! I could use some help up here, RIGHT NOW!!" So I come flying out of bed, Roxi goes flying, big eyeballs and everything. I'm grabbing a t-shirt as I come out of the v-berth, being bounced around pretty hard, and the first thing I noticed is the Captain does not have his life jacket on!!! ( I still let him know exactly how I feel about that ). As I'm grabbing our life vests, he says "take the helm". I get to the cockpit just in time to start heeling over. And he's headed below to put the keel all the way down. He says in passing "Maybe I shouldn't have put the Genoa all the way out." Here we are headed back to port in Anacortes. Headed through Thatcher Pass with an apposing wind, and a huge tide. A northerly wind with an incoming tide. This is a true test. I'm just saying's all.. It's wasn't so bad cutting across Rosario Strait, but once we got into Guemes Channel, the wind was coming out of the Bellingham Channel was heeling us over 20 degrees plus, again!
At one time on the trip over we were heeled over, tipping the genoa in the water, and getting water coming over the toe-rail. The kids were freaking out, Roxi was halfway in my lap, and HalfHitch was in the other side, and we were standing on the settee, everything was flying everywhere down below. What a ride!! We got into Cap Sante Boat Haven at 9ish. We took showers, got ice, and walked the kids all over, and goofed off or a while. The Latts and Atts party on the dock started early,they popped the kegs around 2ish, and the "crawl" started just after 4. We decided not to crawl , with the 5 or 7 people going. We decided to stay and drink free beer on the docks, with some rum and pepsi mixed in.    bunkmate

No comments:

Post a Comment